Advance SCP conducts Innovative Instruments and Incentives Workshop
The Advancing and Measuring Sustainable Consumption and Production for a Low-Carbon Economy in Middle-Income and Newly Industrialized Countries (Advance SCP) project conducted a Regional Workshop on Innovative Instruments and Incentives for the Promotion of Climate Friendly Products in the Market on 5-7 July 2017 in Pattaya City, Thailand with following objectives:
- To provide knowledge on innovative instruments and incentives to promote ecolabelling and green products
- To discuss concepts, approaches, and best practices in European countries
- To develop incentive concepts from different perspectives (Government/Business, Government/End-consumer, Business/End consumer); and
- To develop implementation plans for piloting their selected incentive.
A total of twenty-seven (27) participants from government agencies, manufacturer associations, and ecolabelling program implementers from the project’s target countries (Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines and Thailand) actively participated in the workshop. Technical input was provided by Mr. Siddharth Prakash and Mr. Tobias Schleicher, experts from Oeko Institut e.V. The participating countries were also able to share and discuss their existing incentive schemes and their experiences in implementation.
As output of the workshop, each participating country conceptualized two (2) incentive programmes. These are as follows:
- Financial incentive for development of wood pellet industry*
- Financial Incentive for Encouraging utilization of solar energy
- “myRelamp” – Conventional Bulb Replacement Programme –
- “mySECCI” – Sustainable Energy Efficient Construction Initiative
- Green Homes Design (GHD) Incentive
- Take-back Incentive System for Eco-labelled Products
- Increasing GPP by collaboration between government and manufacturers
- Special discount for Green Products*
*selected incentive for development of draft implementation plan for piloting
Through prioritization based on their selected criteria, each country selected one concept for piloting. Implementation plans were developed for the selected concepts. The project is currently discussing and planning for the piloting of selected incentive concepts.