Thai-German technical cooperation; it was agreed upon in the first intergovernmental agreement of 1956 and set up in Bang Sue in 1959. In the same year courses commenced at the institute in the fields of motor vehicle installation, car electricity and engineering. Two years later, in 1961 a wood workshop and a low tension installation were established. Once having overcome some teething troubles the Thai-German Technical School developed well and its graduates were highly sought after by local employers.
At the end of the project in 1970 the institute offered training courses preparing for 8 professions: fitters, plumbers, works electricians, motor-vehicle craftsmen, motor-vehicle electricians, radio and telecommunication technicians, joiners. Every year 50 full-time students were accepted for the 2-years training course. Additionally the Thai-German Technical School offered special training programmes and evening classes.
Further History of the TGTI:
In 1960 the Nontaburi Institute of Telecommunication had been established with aid from the Government of Japan. In the same year, the Thonburi Technical Institute had been set up, and between 1963 and 1970 it received technical assistance from the United Nations Development programme. These two technical institutes combined with the Thai-German Technical Institute to become King Mongkut’s Institute of Technology (KMIT) in 1971 and came under the responsibility of the Ministry of University Affairs.